Wednesday, March 2, 2011

When you are moving abroad – you are carrying a bit of extra load

Dear blogreaders,

I have now started an adventurous journey which I hope will generate a few new blog post, than what become the standard last year.

The first step in moving abroad, often means a lot of attention of all what you are moving to, and to a less extent on what you leave behind. But what you leave behind is not something that is lost or will be lost, it is just the end of a chapter that the following chapters in your life story will build upon. My last week in my home country turned out to be a very intense one with a lot of great memories:

  • A cake with the colleagues and friends in the office. 50 of the best months with so many new challenges to learn from and so many great people in my extended relationship register.
  • A week full of dinners with different constellations of friends. Going abroad is a bit like getting the funeral speeches about your good sides while you still are alive, and reminding you about the importance to stay in touch with great friends while you are abroad.
  • A weekend with my family, where my first grade nephew will teach my mother to mail and she will help him to read his mail, with his first and brand new e-mail account. Great idea that I was not part of inventing.
  • Fully realizing that humans must be direct descendents from squirrels, or at least I, since there was plenty of stuff in my apartment, which falls in the good to have for future projects, which never will take place.
  • Purchasing a few souvenirs from my home country that will come in handy when visiting new friends.
  • Preparing for the return by leaving a place to come back to, and hopefully with great tenant taking care that way I would have done it.

The last day I spent by taking a long walk to places nearby that I for some reason have managed to miss. A few relaxing hours in mid of the turmoil before finishing the last bits and catching a 6.20am flight with the emigration sticker attached….

Stay tuned for future posts.

1 comment:

Peter Lowten said...

You greatly helped Kathryn and I to do it (Moving Abroad I mean!). If we can help you in any way please call! Enjoy the journey!