Monday, March 30, 2009

Local transportation could be quite a mess - when your are naive and mostly guess

When you have 1 hour on a Friday afternoon to arrange Hotels and Loccal transportation it is tricky to get everything right. Well this time I did not get it absolutely right.

FIRST STOP SFO AND SURROUNDINGS
As I almost live there for a while and have rented cars numerous times I thought I could save some corporate dollars by eliminating the Never-Lost option. It is wise as long as you got to an office you know and stay and eat at a place you know. This trip it was the food that was created the major head ache. First night, no good value place to eat within the Hotel premises and shopping mall across the street limited to Asian cuisine only. Crused for a while and finally found a pizza, next problem how to find the way home.

Lunch third day at a nice but slightly remote place. Found it by following another driver. But different deadlines after lunch, with mine being the shorter one. Forced myself and a colleague to eat faster than anyone would recommend. Luckily there was another fast eater that could assist on the way back

SECOND STOP IN YEG
Uncertail at if I really needed car or if Taxi was a better option. But staying over the weekend I was afraid of getting grounded. Since it was the second time I was sure that never-Lost was the only choice. Next question where to park. Hotel turned out to be down-town. A great parking space just next door, but of course did not the meter work. And no parking at the hotel except for a valet option, with 15-20 minute delivery plans. Pricing? As you can expect at a Fairmont hotel were I and the NHL players stayed overnight. Corporate discounts applied for nights but not parking so I guess what ever is negotiatied it is always someting that come back and beat you.

THIRD STOP IN LAS
On my way there tomorrow I am getting back into more well known territory again. I know that I do not need a car, I knwo where the hotel is and now it is just to figure out if the exhibition is in the regular exhibition hall.

So what is the key take aways:
* Save in the right places, and not finding your way add to the gas bill instead
* Count in parking details and a key determination factor

Stay tuned for more

No comments: