Monday, December 12, 2011

With the right road warrior gear - you have nothing to fear

Dear blog reader,

The inspiration to this blog comes from a recent business trip with a colleague who had great gear in his accessory kit. I concluded I needed an upgrade and have five suggestions that go beyond basics.

5000 mAh of gadget juice in one neat package. Have you ever been chasing power outlets at an airport as if you were working for the cleaning company? Or arrived at an airport with the booking in your laptop and realized that you used the last energy in the battery during the flight. Or having the wrong converter in your bag, don't mention the war. Luckily the solution is now available in the form of a super battery, charge once and it can charge your phone 2-3 times, or top up your Smartphone and tablet at the same time.


WiFi without the travel expense hassle. My resistance to WiFi on the road goes back to the first time in Hungary where log-in codes were sent to my mail, which I could not access, in order to log in. There are SIMpler solutions. Next the constant issue of the $9.95 bills for the travel receipts. or like on a recent trip $29.85 as they charged for each device I used, laptop, tablet and iPod.... With widespread 3G and 4G in major US metropolitan areas you can carry your WiFi with you in the form of a MiFi router. Just put it on the table, use all your devices, and get one bill a month. Business connectivity made SIMple.

Ever arrived at the airport to figure out the Neverlost was sold out and you are new in town. Recently I came to Kansas City and had a reservation for a GPS equipped car. The guy in front of me was new in town and was in desperate need for a GPS equipped car. I cancel my reservation and gave him my car and I waited for a colleague arriving a bit later. I also took the decision to bring my own portable GPS in the future. I found one with life time map updates and updates on construction work. It is not a part of my hand luggage kit.


Are you getting tired of your big noise cancellation head-sets you carry? I never bought a pair despite extensive travelling. Instead I have used a pair of noise cancellation ear plugs that work great whenever I remember to carry batteries. A newer alternative is the sculpted ear plugs that are made to your ear and create a tighter plug into your ears not allowing sound to come in. Custom fitted in the shop or at home afterwards. On my shopping list for new road warrior gear, this one is high up.

Are you messing with booking information and receipts from your travel? One of our secretaries prints all the key travel info, flights, car and hotel bookings on the outside of an envelope. Great when travelling and easy to use for keeping all receipts in one place afterwards. I need to get a copy of the template.

No comments: