Friday, August 15, 2008

From Maine lobster to German sauerkraut – is that what road-warrior life is all about

One of the special opportunities with traveling extensively is the opportunity to try out the local cuisine, at the destination and en route. Both the fantastic experience enjoying the local specials with some friends and/or colleagues and the less attractive option of finishing of a three course dinner in solitude….

This week I have had the opportunity to visit Boston, which brought me down the delicious dinner route of New England Clamchowder and stuffed Maine Lobster. Did I enjoy it? Yes! Not only did I get lobster, I did get it two nights in a row, and both times in great company. It was a great end to two intensive days when we after a large team effort from 10+ people had been completing two great presentation programs, most of us coming straight from vacation and jumping into to our business travel shoes straight from flip-flops.

So where is the catch this time? Well the starter yesterday could have caused me major problems, I found a piece of glass in my clamchowder, the size of a large diamond in a wedding ring, that was hard to chew. Called the waitress, that called the manager, who called the chef, all apologizing for the major inconvenience. I am happy that I did not get it down my throat, but even more that I managed to not destroy the dinner atmosphere by moving into a lawsuit conversation with the restaurant, that could have been a highly rewarding exercise…

Well we are not done by that, the luggage loading truck at the airport bumped into the airplane when loading the last bags. The plane walls are not that thick, and a misformation could result in a bigger hole mid air so a 2 hour investigation involving the service crews at the home airport got involved. Do not know exactly what happened by we are safely approaching FRA. It is clear that we miss the connection and have a 4 hour stay at the airport, Just to get a break in the global sea foot diet, where we get an interim sauerkraut stop in between Lobster and the annual crayfish parties…

No comments: